Skip to main content

Sitecore clear cache setting

Sitecore has extensive cache settings. You can add caching at the rendering level so it affects all instances of that rendering. Or you can add caching at the component level on a particular page via the presentation details. This is all good when you are setting it up, but once this goes to production, the way caching is supposed to work is that the cache should get cleared after an item is published. So after an item is published, any associated cache should also automatically get updated.

In our case, we saw that once we went to production (with extensive caching enabled) our pages loaded much faster. However when the content authors were updating content, the updates were not making it to the delivery servers. The content seemed to be stuck in the cache. We noticed that we had to do one of the following to see the updated cache.

  1. Go to the admin cache page [SitecoreSite/sitecore/admin/Cache.aspx] and click the "Clear all" button. This is not viable long term solution but helps to troubleshoot if an issue is related to the cache.
  2. Uncheck any cache settings you have placed on either renderings or pages level components. 

The above steps would help determine if your issues is related to the cache not cleared after each publish. We noticed that in our Sitecore.config file, after the publish:end event, the default site name is set to be "website". Our site was not called website, so after updating the site name, we noticed that caches were getting cleared after publishing. Phew! Hope this helps someone else out there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Okta Authentication for a Sitecore client site

I recently had a project where we had to add a new Sitecore site to an already multi site Sitecore 8.2 Update 7 instance. This new site had to integrate with Okta to manage user authentication. I found many articles online that integrated Okta and Sitecore's admin interface but I could not find one that just integrated Okta with a client Sitecore site.

My first step was to use Okta's available ASP.NET MVC projects on their Dev site and test them out. This worked very well with the first Authenticated method I tried which was WS-Fed. But when I tried to use the same authentication method with a site in Sitecore I got errors in my logs like the following:

Sitecore.Security.Principal.SitecoreIdentity does not contain a definition for Claims

Claims are available in HttpContext.User.Identity but not in Sitecore.Security.Principal.SitecoreIdentity, and since we are using a Sitecore site we could not read the claims. I tried to make claims work in Sitecore using various online articl…

Un Lock Sitecore admin account

There are times when you
- Upgrade Sitecore locally
- Restore databases in your local Sitecore instance.

And you are no longer able to login to the Sitecore admin interface with the default admin username and password b.

When this happens you can unlock the Sitecore admin account and reset the password back to b.

To do this copy this aspx file to your Website\sitecore\admin folder (and overwrite existing file)

Next make sure your local web.config (in the root Website) folder has the following settings
minRequiredPasswordLength="1"
minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"

Lastly go to the following page
https://YourSitecore.com/sitecore/admin/unlock_admin.aspx



And click the Unlock Administrator button.
That's it, you can now login to your local Sitecore instance.
Happy Sitecoreing!



Async Task .Result or .Wait() not working in MVC web application

I had a piece of async code that worked as a console application in Visual Studio 2015. I had to move this code into my MVC web application.

In the code, basically you pass an ID to an Api and it returns a document corresponding to that ID. The issue was, there needed to be 2 calls to the Api. As part of the first call you pass the ID and the Api returned a filename. You then pass the filename to the second call and it returns the corresponding document.

This worked fine in a console application. But when I tried to port it into a MVC web application it did not work. Frankly async calls work fine in MVC applications, but in instances like mine, I needed the code to be synchronous, since the second call to the Api should only start after the first call returns valid data. I even tried to make the code synchronous, but this just caused my application to hang at the .Result line (code below)


ORIGINAL CODE: var fileName = await obj.PostAsync(); await obj.DownloadFile("fileId=" +…