Skip to main content

Sitecore: Performance debug troubleshooting

There are times when you need to debug your Sitecore codebase and find out what part of the code is taking the most time and troubleshoot page load times. One of the most useful methods is to load the following page (after you have logged into Sitecore)

http://{YourWebsite}/?sc_mode=normal&sc_debug=1&sc_trace=1&sc_prof=1&sc_ri=1&sc_rb=1

sc_mode – don't load the experience editor
sc_debug - turn on the debug mode
sc_trace - turn on Sitecore trace
sc_prof - turn on Sitecore profiler
sc_ri - show rendering information
sc_rb - show rendering borders

Next scroll down to the bottom of your page and you should see something similar to this image


It should show you where the most time is spent. The next step would be to identify the section of your code base that is taking the most time and drill down to more specifics. To find out exactly how long a particular section of code takes, add the following:



You can replace the string "SitecoreingTesting" with anything more relevant to you. Also add multiple of such blocks throughout your code. Next go back to your debug page

http://{YourWebsite}/?sc_mode=normal&sc_debug=1&sc_trace=1&sc_prof=1&sc_ri=1&sc_rb=1

On this page, search for your custom strings like "SitecoreingTesting" and you should see relevant debug and time information that usually is useful to pin point the code that is causing performance issues.

For quick page load time, I found the following chrome extension very useful.
Chrome page load time extension

Hope this helps someone during their performance troubleshooting phase. Good luck!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Local setup of a SSL certificate

Creating a local ssl certificate is easy. You can do so by creating a self signed certificate in IIS and assigning that to you local site. However you may notice that with newer TLS 1.2 standard, tools like TDS (Team Development for Sitecore) and others stop working and complain about local certificates with errors like Exception: System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException Message: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure. To fix this issue, these were the steps I followed. Hope this helps others that are facing similar issues. 1. Run the following Powershell command to create a local self signed cert (replace xxx.local.com with your local dns): New-SelfSignedCertificate -CertStoreLocation Cert:\LocalMachine\My -DnsName "xxx.local.com" -FriendlyName "xxx.local.com" -NotAfter (Get-Date).AddYears(10) 2. Win Key + search for "Manage computer certificates". Make sure your certificate is in the following 3

Sitecore clear cache setting

Sitecore has extensive cache settings. You can add caching at the rendering level so it affects all instances of that rendering. Or you can add caching at the component level on a particular page via the presentation details. This is all good when you are setting it up, but once this goes to production, the way caching is supposed to work is that the cache should get cleared after an item is published. So after an item is published, any associated cache should also automatically get updated. In our case, we saw that once we went to production (with extensive caching enabled) our pages loaded much faster. However when the content authors were updating content, the updates were not making it to the delivery servers. The content seemed to be stuck in the cache. We noticed that we had to do one of the following to see the updated cache. Go to the admin cache page [SitecoreSite/sitecore/admin/Cache.aspx] and click the "Clear all" button. This is not viable long term solution

Using Okta Authentication for a Sitecore client site

I recently had a project where we had to add a new Sitecore site to an already multi site Sitecore 8.2 Update 7 instance. This new site had to integrate with Okta to manage user authentication. I found many articles online that integrated Okta and Sitecore's admin interface but I could not find one that just integrated Okta with a client Sitecore site. My first step was to use Okta's available ASP.NET MVC projects on their Dev site and test them out. This worked very well with the first Authenticated method I tried which was WS-Fed. But when I tried to use the same authentication method with a site in Sitecore I got errors in my logs like the following: Sitecore.Security.Principal.SitecoreIdentity does not contain a definition for Claims Claims are available in HttpContext.User.Identity but not in Sitecore.Security.Principal.SitecoreIdentity, and since we are using a Sitecore site we could not read the claims. I tried to make claims work in Sitecore using various online a