Skip to main content

Local Sitecore 9 install


This is a post of my experience installing Sitecore 9.2 locally.

Make sure you having the following pre-requisites

1. Operating system - Windows server 2016+ or Windows 10 64 bit.
2. Install Solr 7.5.0 locally
3. .NET Core 2.1.7 Windows hosting module 
4. .NET Framework 4.7.2 I use this site to verify and update
5. Turn on Windows IIS and .NET 4.7 features (refer image below)
6. IIS version 10+
7. Microsoft SQL Server 2016 SP2+. Make sure to have a valid username/password to create and manage sitecore databases.

I then installed Sitecore 9.2 by using the new Sitecore Install Assistant (SIA). I downloaded the Sitecore 9.2 graphical setup package for XP single and ran the setup.exe file as an administrator.

I referred to the this blog post for the installation steps.

Make sure to have the following handy before starting the installation:


That's it. Just follow the steps for the installation and you should get a successfully installed message. Then open the following urls to load your local Sitecore site (assuming your Sitecore prefix is SC92).
http://SC92sc.dev.local/
http://SC92sc.dev.local/sitecore



Happy Sitecoreing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Local setup of a SSL certificate

Creating a local ssl certificate is easy. You can do so by creating a self signed certificate in IIS and assigning that to you local site. However you may notice that with newer TLS 1.2 standard, tools like TDS (Team Development for Sitecore) and others stop working and complain about local certificates with errors like Exception: System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException Message: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure. To fix this issue, these were the steps I followed. Hope this helps others that are facing similar issues. 1. Run the following Powershell command to create a local self signed cert (replace xxx.local.com with your local dns): New-SelfSignedCertificate -CertStoreLocation Cert:\LocalMachine\My -DnsName "xxx.local.com" -FriendlyName "xxx.local.com" -NotAfter (Get-Date).AddYears(10) 2. Win Key + search for "Manage computer certificates". Make sure your certificate is in the following 3

Sitecore clear cache setting

Sitecore has extensive cache settings. You can add caching at the rendering level so it affects all instances of that rendering. Or you can add caching at the component level on a particular page via the presentation details. This is all good when you are setting it up, but once this goes to production, the way caching is supposed to work is that the cache should get cleared after an item is published. So after an item is published, any associated cache should also automatically get updated. In our case, we saw that once we went to production (with extensive caching enabled) our pages loaded much faster. However when the content authors were updating content, the updates were not making it to the delivery servers. The content seemed to be stuck in the cache. We noticed that we had to do one of the following to see the updated cache. Go to the admin cache page [SitecoreSite/sitecore/admin/Cache.aspx] and click the "Clear all" button. This is not viable long term solution

Using Okta Authentication for a Sitecore client site

I recently had a project where we had to add a new Sitecore site to an already multi site Sitecore 8.2 Update 7 instance. This new site had to integrate with Okta to manage user authentication. I found many articles online that integrated Okta and Sitecore's admin interface but I could not find one that just integrated Okta with a client Sitecore site. My first step was to use Okta's available ASP.NET MVC projects on their Dev site and test them out. This worked very well with the first Authenticated method I tried which was WS-Fed. But when I tried to use the same authentication method with a site in Sitecore I got errors in my logs like the following: Sitecore.Security.Principal.SitecoreIdentity does not contain a definition for Claims Claims are available in HttpContext.User.Identity but not in Sitecore.Security.Principal.SitecoreIdentity, and since we are using a Sitecore site we could not read the claims. I tried to make claims work in Sitecore using various online a