Skip to main content

Sitecore 9 un-install

Sitecore 9 can easily be setup using the Sitecore Install Assistant (SIA). But if you were like me you installed it a few times before you got it right and were left with a few Sitecore 9 instances that you would like to clean up. I'm hoping Sitecore comes up with their own un-installer, but in the meantime here are the steps I followed to cleanup my un-used Sitecore instances.

Assuming the Sitecore 9.2 instance we are going to un-install has the Sitecore prefix SC92

1. Remove the windows services (you can find your service names by opening your local windows services) with "sc.exe delete [servicename]" in cmd prompt.
   I ran the following 3 statements from the cmd as administrator



2. Remove the IdentityServer and xConnect website and application pools from IIS. I right clicked and Removed the following websites from IIS



   Next I right clicked and Removed the following appllication pools from IIS.



3. Delete the Sitecore and xConnect websites from inetpub
   I right clicked and deleted the following folders from my local C:\inetpub\wwwroot



4. Remove the databases from SQL Server prefixed with SC92
   I had to right click and delete the following databases from my SQL server instance



5. Open your windows services and stop your Solr service. Mine was solr-7.5.0 (I right clicked and stopped this service).

6. Delete local Solr indexes. Right click and delete any folder with SC92 prefiex in your solr installation path (mine was D:\solr\solr-7.5.0\server\solr)
   I deleted the following folders locally



6. Open your local hosts file (at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc)
   Remove Hosts entries from hosts.etc file, that are prefixed with SC92. I had to delete the following 2 lines



That's it, you have cleaned up your un-used Sitecore instance. Happy Sitecoreing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Okta Authentication for a Sitecore client site

I recently had a project where we had to add a new Sitecore site to an already multi site Sitecore 8.2 Update 7 instance. This new site had to integrate with Okta to manage user authentication. I found many articles online that integrated Okta and Sitecore's admin interface but I could not find one that just integrated Okta with a client Sitecore site. My first step was to use Okta's available ASP.NET MVC projects on their Dev site and test them out. This worked very well with the first Authenticated method I tried which was WS-Fed. But when I tried to use the same authentication method with a site in Sitecore I got errors in my logs like the following: Sitecore.Security.Principal.SitecoreIdentity does not contain a definition for Claims Claims are available in HttpContext.User.Identity but not in Sitecore.Security.Principal.SitecoreIdentity, and since we are using a Sitecore site we could not read the claims. I tried to make claims work in Sitecore using various online a

Sitecore clear cache setting

Sitecore has extensive cache settings. You can add caching at the rendering level so it affects all instances of that rendering. Or you can add caching at the component level on a particular page via the presentation details. This is all good when you are setting it up, but once this goes to production, the way caching is supposed to work is that the cache should get cleared after an item is published. So after an item is published, any associated cache should also automatically get updated. In our case, we saw that once we went to production (with extensive caching enabled) our pages loaded much faster. However when the content authors were updating content, the updates were not making it to the delivery servers. The content seemed to be stuck in the cache. We noticed that we had to do one of the following to see the updated cache. Go to the admin cache page [SitecoreSite/sitecore/admin/Cache.aspx] and click the "Clear all" button. This is not viable long term solution

Updating Sitecore Image alt text

One of the most important conditions of making a site accessible is to make sure that all images on the site have the alt field with some value that describes the image. The simplest update we can make to Sitecore is to have the alt field automatically get the image file name. That way even if content authors forget to fill the alt field, it is pre-filled with the file name. To do this just add $name to the alt field in the standard value of an image [/sitecore/templates/System/Media/Unversioned/Image/__Standard Values] This is all good for an future images that gets uploaded to Sitecore. But what about all the existing images. For that we can write a PowerShell script (see below) to get all images in the Sitecore image folder that have empty alt tags. Export that to a csv file. $pathOfImages = "master:/sitecore/media library/MyImages" $images = Get-ChildItem -Path $pathOfImages -Language * -Recurse | Where-Object { ($_.Fields["Alt"] -ne $null) -and ($_.Fields