Skip to main content

Updating Sitecore Image alt text

One of the most important conditions of making a site accessible is to make sure that all images on the site have the alt field with some value that describes the image. The simplest update we can make to Sitecore is to have the alt field automatically get the image file name. That way even if content authors forget to fill the alt field, it is pre-filled with the file name. To do this just add $name to the alt field in the standard value of an image
[/sitecore/templates/System/Media/Unversioned/Image/__Standard Values]

This is all good for an future images that gets uploaded to Sitecore. But what about all the existing images. For that we can write a PowerShell script (see below) to get all images in the Sitecore image folder that have empty alt tags. Export that to a csv file.



Next create another csv file that has the image id and the image file name. We can use this to run another script to update the alt tags. If you have some images that are in a different language, I found google translate even allows you to upload documents that get translated. So you could upload only the image alt column in English and have it translated by google to any other language.

Using the below PowerShell script and an updated excel file with the image id and alt text columns, you can update all existing images that have empty alt in your Sitecore instance. You can also manually update this file with updated image names. For this you could ask your marketing department or a content author to help.



I worked on this with Nishkala Panduranga a Sitecore developer on my team. I found this helped our Accessibility score and also our content authors not worry about missing to fill out the alt field. Hope this helps someone else out there. Happy Sitecoreing!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Local setup of a SSL certificate

Creating a local ssl certificate is easy. You can do so by creating a self signed certificate in IIS and assigning that to you local site. However you may notice that with newer TLS 1.2 standard, tools like TDS (Team Development for Sitecore) and others stop working and complain about local certificates with errors like Exception: System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException Message: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure. To fix this issue, these were the steps I followed. Hope this helps others that are facing similar issues. 1. Run the following Powershell command to create a local self signed cert (replace xxx.local.com with your local dns): New-SelfSignedCertificate -CertStoreLocation Cert:\LocalMachine\My -DnsName "xxx.local.com" -FriendlyName "xxx.local.com" -NotAfter (Get-Date).AddYears(10) 2. Win Key + search for "Manage computer certificates". Make sure your certificate is in the following 3

Sitecore clear cache setting

Sitecore has extensive cache settings. You can add caching at the rendering level so it affects all instances of that rendering. Or you can add caching at the component level on a particular page via the presentation details. This is all good when you are setting it up, but once this goes to production, the way caching is supposed to work is that the cache should get cleared after an item is published. So after an item is published, any associated cache should also automatically get updated. In our case, we saw that once we went to production (with extensive caching enabled) our pages loaded much faster. However when the content authors were updating content, the updates were not making it to the delivery servers. The content seemed to be stuck in the cache. We noticed that we had to do one of the following to see the updated cache. Go to the admin cache page [SitecoreSite/sitecore/admin/Cache.aspx] and click the "Clear all" button. This is not viable long term solution

Using Okta Authentication for a Sitecore client site

I recently had a project where we had to add a new Sitecore site to an already multi site Sitecore 8.2 Update 7 instance. This new site had to integrate with Okta to manage user authentication. I found many articles online that integrated Okta and Sitecore's admin interface but I could not find one that just integrated Okta with a client Sitecore site. My first step was to use Okta's available ASP.NET MVC projects on their Dev site and test them out. This worked very well with the first Authenticated method I tried which was WS-Fed. But when I tried to use the same authentication method with a site in Sitecore I got errors in my logs like the following: Sitecore.Security.Principal.SitecoreIdentity does not contain a definition for Claims Claims are available in HttpContext.User.Identity but not in Sitecore.Security.Principal.SitecoreIdentity, and since we are using a Sitecore site we could not read the claims. I tried to make claims work in Sitecore using various online a